Exciting Events and Places to Visit this Holiday
We look at exciting Cape Town events and places to visit this holiday.
‘Tis the season of festivities, feasts, family and fun! The glorious sound of jingle bells means that exciting holiday activities are around every corner. Living at Bardale Village, within the Blue Downs area, means that just about every great holiday experience takes place on your doorstep.
Cape Town is home to some of the best holiday experiences, which explains why so many people from across the country tend to flock down during December time. From family-friendly events like local Christmas markets, to buzzing nightlife and beachside cocktails, Cape Town in December truly has it all!
Let’s take a look at some of the most exciting events and places to visit around the Bardale area this holiday:
Fun for the Family
Christmas is all about spending some much needed time with the people that you love. In the spirit of togetherness, family-friendly events are plentiful.
One of the best ways to get into the Christmas spirit is by packing a picnic and enjoying some carols by candlelight.
Carols by Candlelight at the beautiful Vergelegen Wine Estate takes place on December 16th. Adult tickets are R60, with children getting in for R30. Tickets are available from Computicket.
Carols at the stunning Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens take place from Thursday, 17 to Sunday, 20 December 2015. Main attractions include the Cape Town Concert Brass and the Cape Town Male Voice Choir. Tickets are available exclusively through Webtickets.
The prestigious Wildlife Photographer of the Year Exhibition has arrived at the V&A Waterfront’s Chavonnes Battery Museum. This exciting exhibit showcases some of the best nature photography from around the world. Definitely a must-see for all families.
It wouldn’t be Christmas in Cape Town without a visit to the beach. There are many amazing beaches around the Bardale area to enjoy.
- St. James Beach, known for its iconic multi-coloured beach huts and large tidal pools.
- Strand beach, perfect for families and ice-cream lovers.
- Muizenberg, a popular surfing (and chilling) spot.
- Camps Bay, offering the right amount of sunshine and nightlife.
Christmas and markets go together like milk and cookies. Spend hours exploring the many exciting stalls, finding the ideal Christmas gifts along the way.
The Fab Ideas Christmas Gift Market at the Kommetjie Community Hall is the perfect place to buy fresh and fantastic gifts.
Date and Time:
11 – 16 December 2015
Friday – Tuesday: 9am – 7pm; Wednesday: 9am – 5pm
Cost: Free Entry
The Edgemead Christmas Market is another must-see! Crafters throughout the country travel to this market to show off their wares. Here you’ll find everything from tasty foodstuffs to jewellery, handcrafted leather clothes to stunning glass mosaics.
Date: Friday 4th – Sunday 20th December 2015
Where: Community Hall in Edgemead Drive
Time: Every day from 10am – 8pm.
Cost: Free Entry
The Durbanville Night Market is returning for one night only, on the 18th of December 2015. Stock up on some last minute gifts with a large variety of handmade gifts, home decor, delicious food and much more.
Where: Rust-en-Vrede, Wellington Road, Durbanville
When: 18th December, 5pm – 10pm
Live shows and music
After a day in the sun, nothing is better than sitting back and enjoying some live entertainment. December brings with it something for everyone.
For the children:
- Winnie the Pooh at the Artscape Theatre Centre (Thursday 10th – Wednesday 23rd December 2015)
- The Nutcracker at the Artscape Theatre Centre (Tuesday 15th – Thursday 24th December 2015)
- Marc Lottering live at The Academia, 18th – 19th December 2015
- Christmas nativity show at Cape Town City Hall, 22nd December at 6:30pm and 23rd December at 8:30pm
- Soccer at the Cape Town Stadium, 19th December – 21st May 2016
- Christmas Day at The Galileo Open Air Cinema at Meerendal, tickets between R79 – R149.
- Kings, Queens and Divas, which pays tribute to music icons of the past and present, at the Roxy Revue Bar, GrandWest every Thursday to Sunday from 8:30pm, running till January 9th
- Goldfish Submerged Sundays at Shimmy Beach Club every Sunday evening till 31st January 2016
- Kirstenbosch Summer Sunset Concerts, running all the way through to the 3rd of April 2016