Water Saving Tips for Saving Water in the Bathroom
Tackling Cape Town’s Level 5 Water Restrictions
In Bardale Village’s continued effort to beat the rising costs of living, we bring you some easy and affordable water saving tips, focused on saving water in the bathroom.
When Cape Town first implemented water restrictions, we took a general look at ways you could save water at home.
Then when the stepped tariff system kicked in, we delved deeper, focusing on affordable ways to save water in the kitchen.
With Level 5 implemented, let’s focus on water saving tips that will aid you in cutting back water usage in the bathroom.
Save Water at the Basin
A tap dripping at 1 drip per second can waste around 30 litres in a day.
That’s about 900 litres in a month!
With this in mind, it’s vital to turn the taps off when not in use.
- Turn off the water when washing your hands, brushing your teeth or shaving
- Rather than catching water in your hands, have a glass nearby for drinking or rinsing
- Use a plug when washing face or hands
Save Water in the Shower
On average, showers use less water than bathing.
- Place a bucket in the shower to catch the water – this water can be used to flush toilets or water outdoor plants
- Install low-flow water saving shower heads
- Turn off the water when washing
- Explore the many affordable water saving devices that can help you cut usage
Save Water in the Bathtub
Most water saving tips will tell you to stick to showering, as baths use much more water.
- Save water by having shallow baths
- Put the plug in before starting to fill your bath and adjust temperature as you fill
- Collected bath water can be used to fill toilets or water outdoor plants
Save Water with Toilets
Flushing is one of the main water wasters in the home.
- Place a plastic bottle, filled with water, into your toilet tank to reduce the amount of water used per flush
- Install a dual-flush or interruptible flush mechanism
- Don’t use your toilet as a dustbin
- Explore the many affordable toilet water saving devices available
Share your Water Saving Tips
Do you have any great bathroom water savings tips that we haven’t mentioned here?
Comment below and let us know!
Find your New Home at Bardale Village
With exciting new residential developments coming soon to Bardale Village, finding your ideal family home is easy!
Find out more about the Kuilsriver Townhouses and connect with our property agents today.